Level: Form 4(urban)
No. of students: 40 (20 boys,20 girls)
Duration : 40 minutes
Date : 2nd of April 2010
General Objective: To expose students to different characters of people.
1. Students will be able to list adjectives that describe the characters in the novel.
2. Students will be able to express their feelings towards the characters in the novel.
Teaching Aids: 1. CD player and TV
2. CD on “Wise Guy” (A TV Series)
3. Overhead Projector(OHP)
4. Novel:”Wuthering Heights”
SET INDUCTION: (10 minutes)
Teacher presents a segment of “Wise Guy” on TV using the CD player.
Students focus their attention on the video clip,paying special attention to the characters involved in the story.Teacher asks questions related to the story using What,Who,Where,etc.
DEVELOPMENT STAGE: (20 minutes)
1. Students are given a few excerpts from the novel “Wulthering Height”. Students discuss in
groups of FIVE the appropriate adjectives to describe the characters in the excerpts. Each
group will be given excerpts based on different characters.
2. Students’ representatives from each group present their group’s vies in describing the
characters. Teacher shows a list of adjectives to describe the characters on the OHP.
Teacher discusses and compares the adjectives that describe the characters in the novel.
3. Students discuss in their respective groups how they feel towards the characters. A different
representative presents each group’s views.
CONSOLIDATION: (5 minutes)
Students write a letter to the characters stating how they feel towards the characters individually. The letter should not be more than 100 words. Students are asked to use the adjectives discussed earlier.
The characters are: Heathcliff,Catherine Earnshaw,Edgar Linton,Catherine Heathcliff,Nelly.
FOLLOW-UP AND CLOSURE: (5 minutes)
Students exchange their letters with members of other groups. They are supposed to respond to the letters,taking the roles of the characters and explaining/justifying their behavior.
Written by: Ismail bin Omar
Matrix No: WE7609